Sunday, November 7, 2010

D.C. Museums

D.C. is full of free museums, many of them part of the Smithsonian Institution (the world's largest complex of museums). This was my last day in D.C. so I had to be picky and choose just one to visit in the morning - I chose the National Museum of American History. One of my reasons for choosing this was that I wanted to see the "First Ladies at the Smithsonian" exhibition - a collection of gowns, shoes and jewellery worn by President's wives. There was a room that had all the inauguration dresses worn by the First Ladies, from Mamie Eisenhower to Michelle Obama. My favourites were Nancy Reagan's and Jackie Kennedy's (least favourite was Barbara Bush's). Quite an impressive exhibit.

That afternoon I checked out the US Holocaust Memorial Museum (not part of the Smithsonian). The layout of the museum was really good and the exhibits were really intense and visually engaging. There was a lot of reading to do and that became difficult with the crowds, but I had all afternoon so I was able to take my time. I wouldn't say I "enjoyed" the museum (definitely not the right word to use) but it was informative and well worth a look. I was very surprised by the number of parents that were there with their kids, given that there were so many graphic images/videos (particularly the footage of Josef Mengele's experiments). I wouldn't let anyone under 13 in there, but each to their own I guess.

So that was my second full day (and last day) in Washington, DC. Tomorrow we head further south on a 9 hour train ride to Charleston in South Carolina. Looking forward to it!

1 comment:

  1. I'm following you now Kate!

    It's awesome reading about your travels... you've seen and done so much already, and so far still to go! Enjoy every moment, hope the South is as entertaining as the north has been.

    ReplyDelete