Saturday, November 6, 2010

D.C. Monuments

First full day in Washington, DC - it was exhausting, but a good one! Our hostel organised a free walking tour with a local volunteer named Jeff.  Now, I've done "free" walking tours before and they normally ask for tips at the end, but Jeff insisted that we hold on to our money. I was ok with that. We started the tour at 9am and visited many significant sites including:
  • The White House
  • Washington, Jefferson, F.D. Roosevelt and Lincoln monuments
  • Korean War, Vietnam War and WWII memorials

I was really impressed by the monuments honouring the Presidents. Out of all of them my favourite was F.D. Roosevelt's (I liked the water features it had). By the time the tour ended it was 1:30pm (that's 4.5 hours of walking!!!) so Kerry and I grabbed some lunch then caught the subway to Arlington National Cemetery in Virginia. We wandered around for about 2 hours visiting the grave of President Kennedy, Tomb of the Unknowns, Tomb of Unknown Civil War Dead, and Arlington House. Got some great views of D.C. from the cemetery too. We also planned on heading to the Pentagon but by the time we were ready to leave it was late, so we headed back to the hostel instead. Plus it's Saturday night...which means pub crawl night...I don't want to miss out on that!


The Washington Monument and the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool.
This was taken on the steps where Martin Luther King gave his famous
"I have a dream" speech.


No comments:

Post a Comment